News

VP’s house under attack

GUNMEN   early Monday attacked the family residence of the Vice-President, Namadi Sambo in Tundun-Wada, Zaria, Kaduna State, injuring the two mobile policemen guarding the house.

A cobbler attending to one of the mobile policemen as at the time of the attack was reportedly hit and died on the spot. The attack on the VP house occurred at 11 o’clock in the morning.

Also, suspected suicide bombers launched attacks on the office of the Assistant Inspector-General of Police in-charge of Zone 10 in Sokoto, Muhtari Ibrahim, and a shop owned by the Police Officer Wives’ Association, adjacent to the Unguwar Rogo police station, Marina, Sokoto.

Dead victims of the Sokoto attacks included a hairdresser, a policeman, and the two suspected bombers.

The attacks in Sokoto and Kaduna came on a day the police announced the casualty figure of Sunday night’s bombing in Kano. The police said four persons were killed in the blast that rocked the Kano-Gwarzo Road but residents insisted on Monday that the casualty figure was higher.

In Tundun-Wada, Zaria, unknown gunmen on a motorbike fired at Sambo’s residence under rehabilitation and injured the policemen on guard.

The house had remained uninhabited by the VP family since it was attacked during the 2011 post-election violence in Kaduna State.

Ibrahim confirmed the attack on his office and the death of a policeman, a Corporal; and the suicide bomber. He said eight policemen and a civilian were injured as a result of the attack.

The AIG said that five offices and other parts of the one-storey building, the gate, and some neighbouring houses were shattered. The official car of the police chief was also reportedly damaged.

He was quoted by the News Agency of Nigeria as saying that the suicide bomber who attacked his office drove a Honda Accord car and forced his way into the premises after he was denied entry.

Ibrahim said that only the dead suicide bomber was in the vehicle, adding that investigations would continue on the development.

He asked members of the public to provide security agencies with useful information to curb the trend.

Deputy Commissioner of Police, Kudu Nma, who confirmed the attack on the Unguwar Rogo police station, said the attacker could not gain access into the police station .

According to Nma, only the attacker died at the Unguwar Rogo police station after he struck a nearby POWA shop.

Spokesman for the Sokoto State Police Command, Sani Salisu, a Deputy Superintendent of Police, confirmed the death of the hairdresser at the POWA shop near Unguwar rogo police station.

The Deputy Force Public Relations Officer, Frank Mba, who also confirmed the attacks, said security had been beefed up in the areas.

“Security has been beefed up in Sokoto and Zaria and men of the Anti-Terrorist Squad have taken over the areas,” Mba said.

The violent attacks in Sokoto and Kaduna, analysts said on Monday must have taken security agents by surprise given the expectation that the attackers, believed to be members of the violent Islamic sect, Boko Haram, would cease fire during the Ramadan season.

The attacks also came barely 24 hours after two ex-heads of state, Olusegun Obasanjo and Ibrahim Babangida, in a joint statement lamented the worsening state of security in the country. Obasanjo and Babangida said Nigerians were living in fear and uncertainty.

The Kano State Police Commissioner, Mr Ibrahim Idris had also confirmed the attack on the city on Sunday night.

About the author

admin