Frontpage

Admissions: Varsities under fire …For frustrating FG’s efforts to increase placements

The Registrar and Chief Executive of Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB), Prof. Dibu Ojerinde, has threatened to publish names of universities that deny candidates admission by not taking up to their carrying capacities.

Speaking to news men recently on the Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME) which was taken all over the country and abroad yesterday, Prof. Ojerinde blamed the poor admission placement in the universities on the management of the institutions whom, he said, do not utilize the prescribed carrying capacities of 50 percent.

According to him, “Most federal universities do not admit up to their carrying capacities.

Government has opened up access but universities’ managements choose not to utilize the spaces in their institutions.  For instance, some departments may have space for 250 students, but the school may admit only 180 thereby denying admission to 70 students.

“I have spoken to most of these institutions but if I am pushed to the wall, I will not hesitate to publish their names in the national dailies”, he threatened.

More than 1,606,753 candidates, yesterday, sat for the 2014 UTME which took place in 392 towns in Nigeria and seven foreign centres.

The JAMB registrar disclosed that only 35 percent of the 1,735,892 who sat for the last year secured admissions in Nigerian universities.

He said that this year’s examination will be in three modes: Computer Based Test (CBT), Dual Based Test (DBT) and Paper Pencil Test (PPT) while insisting on 2015 deadline for PPT.

He said that the board has concluded every arraignment to ensure that only CBT exams will be conducted all over the country from 2015.

The foreign centers for the 2014 UTME include: Accra in Ghana, Buea in Republic of Cameroun, Cotonou in Republic of Benin; London in United Kingdom, Jeddah in Kingdom of Saudi Arabia; Johannesburg in Republic of South Africa and Abidjan in Cote D’Voire.

Ojerinde said the figure in 2014 showed a decrease of one hundred and twenty-nine thousand, one hundred and thirty-nine (129,139) applicants when compared with 2013 figure of 1, 735, 892.

The JAMB boss said the reason behind the decrease in the number of applicants was as a result of the Boko Haram onslaught in the north east of the country, adding that examination will go on despite the security condition.

He disclosed that a 174 visually impaired candidates registered for this year’s examination while 196 inmates registered for the 2013 UTME from both the Kaduna and Lagos prisons.

Ojerinde stated that to create more access to accommodate more students, the government has approved the commencement of e-Learning Degree Programme in the country.

According to him “the programme commences lectures on Monday, 19th May 2014 in four universities namely: University of Uyo, Usman Dan-Fodio university, Sokoto, University of Maiduguri and National Open University of Nigeria (NOUN)”.

He said Imo came first with 58,113 in the top ten highest PPT applications by state followed by Enugu and Anambra with 56,873 and 53,946 respectively.

About the author

admin