FG blows hot over attacks on Nigerians in South Africa

Minister of Foreign Affairs, Geoffrey Onyeama, has reacted to the recent attack on Nigerians in South Africa.
Viral videos on Monday showed widespread attacks on Nigerians and their businesses in South Africa.
The President of the Nigeria Union South Africa (NUSA), Adetola Olubajo, who confirmed the development to Newsmen, on Monday said that the attacks began on Sunday morning in Jeppestown area of Johannesburg when a building was set ablaze by an angry mob.
“The mob also looted several shops that were around the vicinity suspected to be owned by foreign nationals.
“But the Police later dispersed the mob and made some arrests,” he said in a statement.
“Late in the evening of Sunday, Sept. 1, a group of violent locals suspected to be Zulu hostel dwellers besieged Jules Street in Malvern, Johannesburg looted and burned shops/businesses.”
Reacting, Onyeama, in a tweet on his official Twitter page on Monday, said the Nigerian Government will take decisive measures on the issue.
He said, “Received sickening and depressing news of continued burning and looting of Nigerian shops and premises in #SouthAfrica by mindless criminals with ineffective police protection.
“Enough is enough. We will take definitive measures.”  Meanwhile, the Nigeria High Commission in South Africa has responded to the recent attacks on foreigners including Nigerians and their businesses by South Africans.
The High Commissioner, Ambassador Kabiru Bala in a statement on Tuesday urged all Nigerian victims in South Africa to come forward to report their situation to the High Commission as a list of victims is being compiled.
Bala said with the list of the victims complied, Nigeria High Commission will then hold Diplomatic talks with the South African government.
“The High Commission of Nigeria in Pretoria views with concern the ongoing loss of lives, arson, and looting of properties in some parts of Gauteng Province of South Africa.
“Some of the victims of the anarchy are Nigerians and other Africans.
“The High Commission and the Consulate in Pretoria and Johannesburg are compiling the list of all the Nigerian victims of the current anarchy for engagement with the South African government and other stakeholders for succour.
“In this regard, all Nigerian victims of the current attacks are requested to come forward to report their situation to the High Commission and the Consulate.
“The two Missions will continue to be home to all Nigerians in this trying times and in the future. Since the outbreak of the attacks last week, the two Missions have remained open and continued to render normal services to Nigerians and other customers without hindrance,” the statement read in part.
The Commission also appealed to all Nigerians to remain calm and avoid any ‘precipitate action.’
The statement added that any action taken hurriedly that may jeopardise the “arduous task of engaging the South African government through diplomatic channels to bring the situation under control and to restore normalcy.”